Thama
Amenities
None.
History
George W. Carey received a license in January 1892 to operate a ferry across the Pend Oreille River near this spot. It linked settlers on the south side with both the Great Northern Railway and a county road on the north bank, but the ferry ended in 1918. The county agreed to operate another free ferry, and ranchers and the county cooperated to install new pilings and improve the ferry approaches in 1920, moving the ferry slightly downstream. Two years later the commissioners paid E.J. Elliott $897 to build a new boat for the river crossing, then known as Thama Ferry.
Fred Consulas was the first ferryman, and received his first pay of $70 a month in February 1921. His wife taught at the Thama School on the south shore of the river.
The ferry operated until 1954, when George Thomas’ milk truck slid down the icy ferry ramp into the river. The Thomas’ insurance company sued the county. Priest River Chamber leaders recommended that the ferry be discontinued and to use the money to improve the road to Priest River, and the county accepted the recommendation.